Tiny flies

Asked December 31, 2015, 6:24 AM EST

Every morning about 30 dead flies have collected on our front window sill. I've seen them coming through the cracks in the windows. Some of them survive and can be seen flying around. We've tried everything we can think of to get rid of them, spraying outside and in with preventative sprays, etc. I don't know where they're coming from or why and would love some advice please. Thanks

Outside United States insect issues household pests household insects structural and household pests house flies

Some fly species move into our homes at the beginning of winter as they seek a warmer environment. The only recourse that most homeowners have is to find and seal the cracks and openings that allow these flies access to the home. Often, these access points are under the eaves of the roof or perhaps the flies are given access to the home through open windows and doors. If this is the first year that these flies have shown up, it might be worth some thinking about where they are coming from (and for that you will need to have someone identify the species of fly). If they show up each year and you are unable to locate or seal the cracks and openings to the home, then using light traps with sticky papers (like you see at restaurants) placed indoors may help to capture and kill some of the flies that do get in. You might also consider contacting a pest control company for consultation if the problem is severe enough.

Thanks for that, I'll try some of those ideas x