Japanese Honeysuckle

Asked December 27, 2015, 10:51 AM EST

Hello.I hope you can help.My neighbor doesn't do any weeding or vine control.Hence,his Japanese Honeysuckle is over growing all over my Forsythia plants. I went on line and found that Glyphosate will kill it but my question is will it also kill my Forsythia. I'd appreciate your advise.Thank you for your time. Pat Devitt

Montgomery County Pennsylvania

Hello Pat, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System.

Unfortunately Glyphosate will kill your Forsythia just as quickly as it will kill the honeysuckle. You might just try trimming back the honeysuckle as close to the ground as you can and then painting the stumps with glyphosate. The chemical must be taken up by the actively growing plant so this is not a good time to try this approach. I suggest that you try to cut down as much of the honeysuckle as you can and keep cutting it back through the growing season.

If you have additional questions you have a local source for information. The Montgomery County Penn State Master Gardener’s hotline offers gardening advice from Master Gardeners in your area. For information on how to contact them [click here]

Montgomery County Penn State Extension
Address: 1015 Bridge Road, Suite H, Collegeville, PA 19426-1179
Phone: 610-489-4315
E-mail:MontgomeryExt@psu.edu
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.