Water Well Location

Asked December 23, 2015, 9:42 AM EST

Any idea on how to inexpensively locate our water well? We bought the house about 3 or 4 years ago and the previous owners did not know where the well was (or at least they claimed they didn't know). We have searched every inch of our property and there is no well head or any indication of a well. We woke up this morning to no water (Merry Christmas, right?) and the inside pump is working but not pulling any water through. Please help with any suggestions. We do not have hundreds or thousands of dollars. We had to install a water treatment system (reverse osmosis) when we moved in which took every last penny that we were going to spend on other things that need done with the house.

Jefferson County Pennsylvania water private wells

This is a difficult problem. I do have one thought. You can use this web address:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/groundwater/pagwis/index.htm to try and find the well log for your property. Put in Jefferson County and your municipality and then hit the search or submit button and scroll down to find a list of water wells drilled in that area and reported to DEP. They will list the well owners name so if you recognize a former owner you can contact the well driller for that well and let's hope it is your well. Please contact me directly if this does not work. I am located in McKean County at 814-887-5613 or Jac20@psu.edu. Jim Clark