Compatible materials for a lightweight umbrella

Hello, I am in need of assistance. I am currently working on creating an umbrella based product that does not require you to use your hands. I currently need expert information and citation that can be used for the completion of my research.

First and foremost, what textiles are considered to be viable for an umbrella's canopy? I generally require something light and flexible. These textiles should also be very absorbant and usable in numerous outdoor conditions. The product also needs a proper size canopy that can be proportional to a backpack with a height of 16 inches and width of 13 inches.

Thank you for your time.

Prince George's County Maryland

Hi, You are asking a complex question. I am giving some guidelines, but would be happy to work with you more in-depth if you need further assistance.

Q: what textiles are considered to be viable for an umbrella's canopy?
A: Textiles are composed of four types of elements: the fiber, the yarn, the fabrication and the finish. Different characteristics at each of these levels makes a textile more or less appropriate for an umbrella's canopy. For example, a nylon fiber, used as a filament yarn in a twill weave with a water-resistant finish would be an excellent choice for an umbrella canopy.

Q: I generally require something light and flexible.
A: The nylon described above will be light and flexible depending on the weight per ounce of the textile, and the number of yarns per inch of the textile. The weight is determined in part by the denier of the fiber and the denier of the yarn. A low denier number means the fiber and yarn are lighter, a high denier means they are heavier. In general,

Apparel uses nylon fibers less than 7 denier and Interior nylon fibers range from 5-25 denier

Q: These textiles should also be very absorbant and usable in numerous outdoor conditions.
A: Are you sure you want the textile to be absorbent? Absorbency and water proof qualities are in direct opposition to each other. The nylon I described, if it is tight twill weave, should withstand wind, rain, and snow. What other outdoor conditions are you considering? Can you give a range of temperature values?

Q: The product also needs a proper size canopy that can be proportional to a backpack with a height of 16 inches and width of 13 inches.
A: The textile you choose should have no bearing on the size of the umbrella; this is not an unusually large size.

Good luck!
Sincerely,