Madrone question

Hello Oregon Extension; Are madrone tree fell over in the recent snow storm here in the Applegate Vallye in Southern Oregon. Can the tree be saved? Is there anything I can do to keep the tree alive? At this point I can not tell if the rootball is intact.Also, if I cut off smaller branches, can they be planted? Thanks, RW

Josephine County Oregon trees horticulture madrone

Sorry to hear that your tree fell over. That happens a lot when trees are weighted down with heavy, wet snow as we experienced in the recent storm. Could the tree survive? Maybe, if enough of the root system is still intact. In most cases, especially with older trees that have a degree of rot or may have some root disease, they are dead, but I have seen a few cases where tipped over trees have survived. Those are the exceptions. There's not a lot you can do to help matters. The branches won't root if you plant them. Madrone can be hard to propagate; a local native plant nursery is probably your best source.