Leaves extract of Chromolaena odorata- allelopathy

Hello, i really need some help here, i want to ask question regarding allelopathy, so i've done experiment on Chromolaena odorata leaves extract, and i've tested it on the the germination of Amaranthus tricolor seeds. However, problem is my result shows that, 10.0% concentration of leaves extract application shows better result in seed germination compared to 7.5% extract of leaves. can someone explain this to me please, i'm really desperate to know.

weed control organic pest management

I do not have experience with using Chromolaena for weed control (my specialty is disease management). If you hare having mixed results you may want to refine your methods and perhaps try other types of seed. Check the literature for ideas or to see if what you want to do is feasible. Here is a link to a publication http://www.regional.org.au/au/allelopathy/2005/2/1/2418_alabibs.htm that tried the extract on different seeds and saw no difference in germination, although plant growth was stimulated in some cases after seed treatment. Therefore, perhaps the allelopathy is weak. I am not sure where you are located but another consideration is that Chromolaena is considered an invasive plant outside of the natural range.

Thank you for the response, i my self are not sure how to explain my experimental result. The thing is, i also found that 10.0% leaves extract concentration of Clidemia hirta and Melastoma malabathricum promote better germination than 7.5% of their leaves extract, other than the result from Chromolaena odorata leaves extract. i tested the seeds with distilled water, 2.5%, 5.0%, 7.5% and 10.0% of leaves extract. up until 7.5% application of treatment, i found that increasing extract concentration causes an increase in the failure of germination of seeds, which is normal, according to theory, however, when i used 10% extract, i found that there are better germination performances occurring than the 7.5% concentration. do you think that this is due to some experimental error, or are there any other logical explanation? Thanks again.

I really cannot say for sure. This could be experimental error, or perhaps there are compounds in the leaves that stimulate germination above the inhibitory effects. Perhaps repeating the experiment and thinking about more controls.