Help with Tricolor Dracaena

Hi - I have had this Tricolor Dracaena for several years. Just recently, within the last month or two, the leaves have started to develop brown spots and what really concerns me are the leaf tips - they are wilting and turning brown. I do water it every week, but I check the soil first and it is 'dry' between watering. Any thoughts on what is causing this and what to do to stop it would be very much appreciated. Photos are not great. If you are able to enlarge the second one this is a better view of what is happening.

Thank you!!

Julie L. Mangum

Denver County Colorado houseplants

One possibility is that Dracaenas are known to be sensitive to fluoride in tap water. Symptoms include yellowing of the tips or margins of the leaf or dead, scorched areas. You can use distilled water to water the plant and that should help.

Some other general suggestions:

· The browning leaves could be the result of too little water. The soil should be kept lightly moist at all times.

· Make sure the plant is not located next to heating or air conditioning vents.

· This plant benefits from bright light but not in direct sunlight. The best spot is one that gets 2 to 3 hours of sunlight filtered through blinds or curtains.

· Room temperatures should be about 65 to 75 degrees.

· Make sure the pot has good drainage.

If the plant is getting root bound, repotting the tree in a larger pot will help it thrive.