Planning Commission Resolution

Can a township planning commission pass a resolution or is a resolution used only for a legislative body

Cass County Michigan

Simply put, any board can pass a resolution, as it is simply a method of articulating a decision being made by the board. Resolutions typically include a preamble and "whereas" statements to describe background and reasons that justify the final resolved clause which includes the action or decision (Therefore be it resolved that..). The other method of articulating a decision is in the form of a motion. Most planning commissions use motions but if formed properly they could probably also use a resolution to document a decision. To more accurately answer your question I would need more information about what kind of resolution to which you are referring. If you would like advice on that contact me directly at piochj@msu.edu.