zoysia lawn fertilizer

I live in Bethesda & haven't been fertilizing my lawn for the past few years. In the front I have all zoysia with a lot of clover growing where I previously had shade from a large tree (tree was removed 4 years ago). The front lawn faces due south with a slight slope & no shade now. I would have expected the zoysia to spread and choke off the clover but the opposite has been happening. Some online advice says to apply 1/4 to 1/2 lb of nitrogen every 6 weeks. Is this true, what is the best way to fertilize and is there anything I should do before the spring? The attached picture is about from July 2014.

Montgomery County Maryland

Zoysia grass is a warm season grass with a slow growing habit. It will compete with cool season grasses providing it is fertilized at the proper time of year.See the attached fertilizer schedule for warm and cool season grasses. Disregard the program you found on line saying to fertilize every six weeks.http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/umd-extension-lawn-fertilizer-schedule-home-lawns
Weeds can be controlled using standard three way products registered for broad leaf weeds at your local box store.

ro