Is my ball pythons scales healthy?

I have had my ball python for at least two weeks already and I noticed her belly is like this is this normal or should I be worried

San Bernardino County California reptile husbandry python regius ball python

Thank you for your question. I can't say for sure what's causing the issue with your snake's ventral scales. It could be the beginning of scale rot, which can occur in many species of snakes, including boas and pythons, and is caused by a variety of conditions. Scale rot is one of those terms that covers a range of problems. It can be caused if the humidity level is too high for a specific species or if cage conditions are damp for extended periods of time. Scale rot has also been applied to conditions resulting from burns and infections following skin abrasions or injuries.

I recommend you take your snake to a reptile vet and let them examine it. They will be able to tell you if the condition is cause for concern, and, if so, how to treat it.

Hope this helps, and thank you for using Ask an Expert.

Jim