Care of recently transplanted double file viburnum

Asked November 23, 2015, 10:26 AM EST

Last Monday a gardening center transplanted a 6' double file viburnam in my garden bed to give it more light and fill in a blank space. They mulched it and watered it. It had been growing right next to a 75' tulip poplar for 5 years and was competing for water and light. Now that the temperatures have dropped, I see that its leaves are drooping as are my other two viburnams. I would appreciate any advice as to what steps to take to insure that it survives the winter. Is there advice re: watering ? Advice re: additional mulch ? Anything else I can do ? Thank you for your assistance.

Montgomery County Maryland shrubs viburnum double file viburnum viburnum winter care

Because viburnums are deciduous, it is normal for the leaves to droop this time of year as the temperatures drop as the leaves are in the process of dying and falling.
(This assumes the shrubs have not been drown by overwatering. Soil should be damp, and the surface allowed to dry between waterings. Soil should not be sodden all the time. More like the moisture level of a wrung out sponge.)

In the winter, soil moisture evaporates much more slowly than during the warm growing season. You will probably not have to water until spring as long as the soil is not dry now.

You probably do not need to apply additional mulch. Wood mulch should never be more than about 2" deep and should always be kept about 2" from the base of the trunk, not piled on it. The width of the mulch ring should be generous. Keeping turf and heavy mowers away from the shrub will have a big impact on how easily the viburnum establishes itself. Compost or decaying mulch around the shrub will feed it each year.

here's a nice review of care after planting (applies to shrubs, not just trees): http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG24_Planting_tips_f...