I have tulip & daffodil bulbs that I did not get planted prior to the...

I have tulip & daffodil bulbs that I did not get planted prior to the ground freezing. Is there anything that I can do with the bulbs?

Scott County Minnesota spring bulbs planting bulbs

Thank you for the question. It is true that most bulbs should be planted in Minnesota by around the middle of October so that roots have time to develop before the ground freezes. Tulips are an exception and can be planted until the ground freezes so there might be areas close to the house foundation that haven't frozen yet where you could plant them. If you do this, mulch them to help prevent winter heaving and be aware that they will bloom earlier than bulbs further away from the warm foundation. If you don't want to do this, you could pot both the tulip and daffodil bulbs up, storein a cool place for a period of time and bring them out into your warm home at intervalsfor lovely winter blooms. Here is our publication on how to force bulbs for indoor blooming:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/houseplants/forcing-bulbs-for-indoor-beauty-in-winte...

Thank you for contacting Extension and good luck with your bulbs.