Hummingbird food for winter - is sugar water enough?

Asked November 19, 2015, 11:24 AM EST

I often wonder if hummingbirds get enough nutrition from the sugar water I feed them in the winter. There aren't many bugs for them to eat in winter. Can I add something like powdered boodworms or mealworms to the sugar water to give them some protein?

Benton County Oregon birds hummingbirds hummingbird feeders

While this sounds like a great idea, it is only recommended to feed hummers sugar water. They can find insects themselves, even in the winter, and they don't need much protein - mostly they need sugar for energy. 4parts water to 1part white sugar, brought to a boil, then cooled, is the recommended recipe. Here is a link to more info from the Seattle Audubon Society.http://www.seattleaudubon.org/sas/LearnAboutBirds/SeasonalFacts/Hummingbirds.aspx
When temperatures are sub-freezing at night, as now, don't forget to bring the feeder in at night, so it won't freeze, and put it out the next morning at first light.