amur maple trimming suggestions

I have an older Amur tree on the property that has probably never been trimmed during the past 15-20 years since it was planted. It is about 20 feet high and bushed out substantially starting at about 5 feet high on a single trunk. It seems overgrown to me and I suspect it was never trimmed back from the day it was planted. How severe can I cut it back now? Should I just top it severely, or should I now go by degrees after this many years? Say 10-15% a year for awhaile? Is there a typical normal trim suggestion if I was to plant another Amur somewhere else now too?

Ramsey County Minnesota

Hi,

There are several different ways to prune large trees, depending upon the purpose of the pruning (provide more air flow, increase space beneath branches, etc.). I would not suggest any kind of severe pruning of your maple but rather selective pruning to meet your needs. I am attaching a link to info about pruning for your review. It may be wise, given the size of your tree to consider a certified arborist for the pruning. Here's your link: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/pruning-trees-shrubs/#large-established...