High altitude custards

Why do I have trouble with custard-like dishes (eg. Quiche, pecan or pumpkin pie, custards) at high altitude (Boulder)? Is there a formula for cooking them here, like there is for baking? Also, freezer jams using Sure-Gel don't thicken. Any advice for that? Thanks, Penny Rather penny_rather@hotmail.com

Boulder County Colorado high altitude food preparation

Hello Penny,
I am going to send you some information that will help with your preparing custards at high altitude and regarding your question about freezing jam. We may have to chat on the phone regarding your freezing jam question because I do not know if you processed the jam with the Sure Gel in a boiling water bath canner for the correct time for high altitude, if you left it sit for 24 hours after processing it so that it could set up, the reason that you frozen the jam you had canned, etc. There are separate recipes for making Freezer Jam that might be what you are needing. Another great resource for preserving is called Pick Your Own http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm