Glyphosphate Disposal

Asked November 10, 2015, 11:41 AM EST

Hello!

Having learned recently that glyphosphate is a potential carcinogen, and also bad for frogs, I am not using it any more. Unfortunately, I have a rather large, opened bottle in my garage. Do you know how I can safely dispose of this? They had no idea at the big box store. The county recycling center web page is unclear on if they can accept this chemical. Is there a way to mix it with something to make it inert so I can throw it away? Or is there somewhere I can take it?

Thank you for your help!

Livingston County Michigan

The jury is still out on glyphosate and the argument will go on for a while. You can give the material to someone who will use it as recommended and get rid of it that way. Unused pesticides are considered has hazardous waste and should not be just thrown away. Glyphosate binds quickly with clay particles and metal ions but this just inactives the chemical by binding it to the clay. Pesticides are disposed of in special certified landfills or other sites approved by the federal and state governments. You have two options really. Contact the local household hazardous waste office in your county and see if and when they take unused household pesticides. These are generally scheduled at specific times during the year because of the special handling involved. This is probably the quickest and easiest way to get rid of the unused pesticide. The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) has a pesticide disposal program as well it is known as Clean Sweep.
http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1568_2390_45388---,00.html
Every year at sites around the state they collect unused pesticides and dispose of them. These collections are scheduled and you must make an appointment and tell them what you are bringing so they are ready for it.
Most pesticde collections are scheduled in the spring and during the growing season so I doubt you can get rid of the unused portion this winter, .You will need to wait till spring if you use the MDARD Clean Sweep program.
As long as the container is closed in you garage it does not pose a risk to you.