Procuring Local Organic/Hybrid Wheat

Asked November 10, 2015, 10:57 AM EST

I am Thomas Eliason, a student intern for an organization called Just Food UMBC at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. We are devoted to securing local, organic, humane, and fair food on campus (ideally at least 20% of the food budget). We are looking to procure local, organic wheat (or at least hybrid wheat mixes with at least 51% organic wheat) for local, organic pizza. Do you know of any reputable, reliable farms that provide local, organic wheat at scale? Local, to us, means within a 250 mile radius of Baltimore. Thank you.

Maryland

Sounds like an interesting project you are working on. There is limited organic production in the immediate area in proximity to UMBC. However within the 250 mile radius, there is some organic production. I am checking on additional information about possible contacts to assist you. Do you have an idea of how much volume you will be using? (For example 50, 100 or 10,000 pounds). Keep in mind that at the farm level, most grains are handled in larger volumes… bagging in small volumes requires additional labor and the prices will reflect the additional handling. If you have questions you can contact me directly at 410-887-8090.

As a rough estimate, we're looking at maybe 5,000 lbs per month. Suffice to say we're looking for large volumes. Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the update... I am planning on being back to you by the end of the week with more information