Tree information

I have a willow tree about thirty years old which had a lot of dead wood in it. I had the dead wood removed. Now there is a bare cut, almost horizontal, about 12 inches in diameter left behind. Should that be painted or tarred? A pin oak in my yard has produced more acorns than ever. What caused that this year? I noticed a nearby black walnut has done the same.

Montgomery County Maryland

No pruning paint or sealer is recommended as it can interfere with the healing process. Tree protect themselves from decay organisms through a process called compartmentalization and callus tissue is part of that defense mechanism.

Keep the tree well watered during dry periods and make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the trunk.

Oak trees and others produce varying numbers of acorns from year to year. The heaviest years are referred to as 'masting', or 'mast seeding'. Some theories suggest that weather conditions before a given acorn crop affect the level of productivity. It has also been noted that the level of productivity can cover a broad range of territory.