I'm looking to plant a wood crop on my land and have been considering...

I'm looking to plant a wood crop on my land and have been considering Lodgepole Pine, Ponderosa Pine and Black Pine. The soil at the site is gravel sand clay (glacial moraine) and sloped. Two questions: would any one of these species perform better than the other? Is there a program in Ohio for providing bareroot stock for any of these trees at a low unit cost?

Logan County Ohio bare root tree pine trees planting trees

All 3 of these species have been planted in Ohio at some point in time. Some will do better than others but without a good look at the site I would hate to say one over the others. There is a Service Forester from the Ohio Division of Forestry assigned to Logan County who can help you with a planting plan and sources of bare root seedlings. Steve McGinnis covers Logan County - his email address is stephen.mcginnis@dnr.state.oh.us and his phone number is 614-212-3291.