spherical particles

Asked October 30, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT

Who would I talk to that could discuss if some spheres observed under a microscope is Mold, Pollen or microcapsules? Some material was observed on a Lake Shore property that had a coating of blackish material that optically have a significant number of spherical mold spore size particles. Any help would be appreciated. Rennie Smith, P.G.

Wright County Minnesota mold plant identification spores diagnostic lab

1 Response

Thank you for the question. We aren't sure how you can figure out what you have. Generally, we think you should contact the University of Minnesota Plant Diagnostic Clinic for help or the Research Analytical lab. If they don't provide the service, maybe they know who does. Be prepared to pay a fee. Here are the links:



One expert notes that if the spots are on maple leaves, it could be tar spot. Learn more here: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/why_do_my_maple_leaves_have_spots

Thank you for contacting Extension and good luck.