Dear MG, I have two alpine strawberry (label on the seed:Fragaria vesca)...

Dear MG, I have two alpine strawberry (label on the seed:Fragaria vesca) plants that are growing in a big container indoor under a growth light (14 hours on, 10 hours off, temperature controlled at 68F). I started them in July and they become quite big now. But what confuses me is that the plants are sending out runners like crazy (ca. 5 per plants per week) but they don't produce any flowers! Can you help me? Thank you!

Scott County Minnesota strawberries

Although Alpine strawberries are "day neutral" - meaning they can bear fruit throughout the growing season, they may need to go dormant in order to remain healthy.

It is possible that your plants need more fertilizer in order to start producing flowers. Here is a publication that tells you lots about growing these plants:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/strawberries-for-the-home-garden/

And once they do begin to bloom, they must be hand pollinated in order for fruit to grow.