I am a graduate student at Wright State University, and I am studying Ohio...

I am a graduate student at Wright State University, and I am studying Ohio streams and their relationship with agricultural land use. My data have shown that streams in agricultural watersheds have higher alkalinity. Is there a reason that agricultural development would prefer geographic areas of higher alkalinity, or are there agricultural practices that would make streams more alkaline? Thank you in advance for your insights.

Ohio soils

Thank you for contacting Ohio State University Extension for research-based answers to your question on soil alkalinity. We apply lime to our agricultural fields/soils to raise the pH. The Western part of our great state is home to some of our most prime agricultural land, which happens to site on top of a limestone bedrock. This naturally raises the pH of the soils.

You might also want to contact the OSU Extension Office in Montgomery County and visit with the Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Educator, Suzanne Mills-Wasniak. Here is her contact information:

Suzanne Mills-Wasniak, Extension Educator - Agriculture and Natural Resources

Miami Valley EERA Montgomery County

1001 South Main Street, Dayton, Ohio 45409

Office: 937-224-9654 Extension 109 mills-wasniak.1@osu.edu

If you should need additional information or have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Teresa Funk