Tree ID

Recently, I was in Gaithersburg at a conference and saw flocks of crows attacking a tree outside of the building. Upon closer examination, the crows were picking the many gum ball-sized, red fruits from the tree and carrying them off. Please see my attached photo. The fruit with its stem is just about the same size as a gum ball and stem, however, the fruit is red and soft, not prickly, like a gum ball. The tree itself looked similar to a dogwood tree in its low branching, sprawling characteristic. However, its bark was smoother. I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks a bunch! Jeff L.

Howard County Maryland fruit tree id

This is the edible fruit of the Kousa dogwood. Michael Dirr describes it as " edible but slimy-juicy to mealy".Wildlife are very fond of the fruit,surprised squirrels have not eaten them before the crows.

ro

Thanks a bunch for your help with this. It is the first time I have ever seen one of these trees. I planted the fruit and maybe I will get a seedling to grow. Have a great day! Jeff L.