Out of control weigela

Hi, looking for advice on how to trim, care for and maintain a very out of control weigela. Last fall I think I trimmed it back too much and this summer it looked very sad, only two stalks of green growth until July where new growth emerged and it went crazy. We didn't get as many fliers as previous years. I am not sure how old the plant is, as we have only lived in our house 3 years and didn't plant it. The two previous summered it seems much more tame and maintained a shape and we got lots of flowers. Please help!

Hennepin County Minnesota shrubs flowers pruning weigela

Weigela blooms on old wood made the previous season, so pruning at the wrong time will sacrifice flowers.
Most types of weigelas want to grow pretty large, and they are often used in shrub borders, though there are ones that are smaller. If this one wants to be 6-10 feet, you will be pruning regularly unless you move it elsewhere.

In our area of the country, (mid-Atlantic) the timing for pruning is May-July, and you can remove the oldest branches (about 1/3 of them) all the way to the ground each year. You should check with your local extension office for the best timing in your area.

Here is a page about them from the Missouri Botanical Garden: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=279017&isprof...