Leyland Cypress browning

I have 15 Leyland cypress trees for about 4 yrs, just noticed that some of the branches in all of them are getting a rusty brown starting closest to the trunk . This had never happened in the past Is there something I can do to Find out what is happening to them? Thanks in advance for your time and attention.

Jefferson County Kentucky

My first impression is that this is environmental. Water, ice/snow and the urban environment can cause problems.

Too much(this spring) then not enough (this summer/fall). Along with the stress from last winter.

A sample of a branch with both live and dying tissue can be sent to the lab for confirmation of any disease.

Leylands are susceptible to cankers and canker disease. Although there is not a cure for this (other than to keep the plant as healthy as possible) at least you would know what you are fighting.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
502-569-2344
810 Barret Ave
Louisville KY 40204