Mobile Poultry Processing Plant Colorado - Handling of Offal

We are planning to build a 1,200 bird per day mobile poultry processing plant and service the state of Colorado. To be operational by May 2016.

We have almost everything we need for this USDA-FSIS mobile plant but I need assistance on handling Offal on the farm. 1,200 birds = around 2,000lbs feathers, blood and in addition water that needs to be managed. Composting is a preferred option but I don't know if composting will work in the winter. Also are there any bio gas plants that can handle the volume in Colorado? Looking to handle offal and need information.

Regards,

Paul

Colorado small meat processors

Hi Paul,

Solid waste management plans vary from state to state. You'll need to touch base with your local environmental health officials to see what is allowed as far as on-farm disposal. If composting is allowed, I recommend watching this webinar: Alternatives to Rendering: Butcher Waste Composting and visiting Cornell's composting website: http://compost.css.cornell.edu.

Good luck!
Kathryn