Is it ok for long term shocking of a well?

Asked October 12, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT

Is it ok if I shock the well to my house when I go out of town? In other words, will it be ok if I pour bleach into my well, and let it sit like that for a week or two, before I return to flush it out? Thank you.

Clinton County New York

3 Responses

Thank you for the information. However, I did not see anything about leaving the bleach in the well for a long period of time. It said 24 hours. My question is, will there be any harm in not flushing the bleach out of the well, for a period of 1 to 2 weeks?

The bleach will break down over time, so it will not stay at full strength, but bleach (sodium hypochlorite) can be corrosive to metals in well casing or household plumbing. You need enough contact time (overnight) to have kill microorganisms, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it in for weeks. Also make sure you are not just pouring straight bleach down the well, but diluting it first (e.g., with a bucket and garden hose).

Here is another publication, and feel free to contact me with further questions. http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/water/drinking-water/water-testing/water-treatment/shock-...