We had 10 containers for growing potatoes and tomatoes this summer. I am left...

We had 10 containers for growing potatoes and tomatoes this summer. I am left with about 60 cubic feet of grow medium (top soil+compost + peat moss in equal proportions) that worked quite well. I am impressed by people's experience with soils that leads them to rotating crops. Please let me know how I might rejuvenate these media so as NOT promote the soil diseases, etc. The media are now stored in 40 pound plastic bags (about 1.5 cu. ft. each) in my backyard. Inoculating the media with nematodes and benign fungus-eating bacteria and/or soil fumigation come to mind but I have virtually no experience with these. Please advise.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Some commercial growers have equipment and facilities capable of sterilizing large quantities of growing media but such facilities are generally unavailable to individuals. Small amounts can be sterilized by heating in a conventional oven but this would be impractical for the amounts you mentioned.

If you are concerned about pathogens in the growing medium, it would be best to replace it.

Information at this website may be of interest:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/files/2010/10/E-545_vegetable_gardening_containers.pdf