Why is my cedar shrub half brown and half green?

I have a small cedar shrub maybe 2 feet high. It has half the normal greening and is almost half brown. I can pull the brown off but hesitate to cut the portions that could maybe make a comeback. I have been watering quite a bit in hopes to save it.

1) Should I replace it? The pruning of what appears to be dead branches will disfigure it considerably.

2) If I need to replace it, should I wait until spring?

Goodhue County Minnesota trees and shrubs cedar lrk

Thank you for the question. It's difficult to say what may be wrong with your shrub but it's your choice about pruning. Sometimes these shrubs may fill in and look suitable again but then again maybe not. If 1/2 of the shrub is not looking good, the odds aren't good for it to look good again. If you choose to remove it, wait until early spring to replant. It's too late now for the plant to establish prior to winter.
Read more about planting trees and shrubs here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/planting-and-transplanting-trees-and-sh...

Thank you for contacting Extension.