seeding a lawn in the fall

Just moved to a new property and my lawn is in terrible shape. I am having a company spray for weeds and then later in the Fall I intend to aerate and then heavily seed it with grass seed. My hope is that next Spring new grass will emerge instead of weeds. A) is this a good strategy? and B) can you recommend a good grass type (fescue, bluegrass etc.) to seed with? We live west of Longmont and east of the foothills
thanks!

Boulder County Colorado lawns and turf horticulture

Welcome to Colorado!

While this is a great time to aerate and fertilize your lawn, there will probably not be enough time for the grass seeds to take root before a freeze. The following link will take you to a Plant Talk called "Choosing a Lawn Grass in Colorado."

www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1521.html I am also sending you pertinent links including "Lawn Aeration," www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1505.html

"Fall Lawn Fertilization," www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1523.html

"Seeding a Lawn," www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1516.html

and "Rejuvenating an Existing Lawn," www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1550.html

I hope these on-line publications will assist you in determining what is best for your yard.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again with and other questions that may arise.

Tina Shearer

thanks! :)