How can I kill brush without destroying a vinca ground cover?

I would like to kill brush that is growing up on a hillside with a nice thick vinca ground cover. The brush is going to eventually kill the vinca and my goal is to save this ground cover. How can I get rid of the brush (honeysuckle, thorny bushes, etc.) without harming the vinca? I would like to hear your suggestions for a chemical and method to go about this.

Pottawattamie County Iowa glyphosate

One option is to cut off the woody plants near ground level and then immediately apply glyphosate to the cut surfaces with a foam-type paintbrush. Roundup is a non-selective herbicide. Make sure none of the Roundup gets on the vinca or other desirable plants.

Roundup is most effective when plants are actively growing. Control efforts in 2015 must be done soon (within the next 10 to 14 days) as the woody plants will go dormant within a few weeks. Control efforts can resume in spring (2016) when the plants leaf out.