Thuja occidentalis wintergreen dead or alive?

Hello, My tree looks like it's dying. Why? I had it put in last fall I water regularly and I've put holly tone around the root before last winter. However just recently it looks like it's turning brown. If it's in trouble. How can I help it? Thank you,

Bergen County New Jersey

Your photos were not that clear. However, the browning on the tips of the branches looks like pine cones. Here is some information from the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirrr. Thuja occidentalis grows best in full sun in a deep well drained moist soil. Very susceptible to strong winds, ice, and snow damage. "Wintergreen" may display better shade tolerance. It looks like the trees are growing in some shade and planted closely together. They will most likely grow at a slower rate as they are competing for moisture and nutrients. Keep the trees watered up until the ground freezes. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base. Monitor the tree for additional symptoms. mh