What would be a good science fair project to do about genetically modified plants

I am a seventh grade student. I decided to do my science fair project on variations between genetically modified and non-modified plants because of the evidence of the growing health risks caused by GM foods. I was going to do a project about whether fruit flies are more attracted to organic fruits or genetically modified fruits. I was wondering about the variables I would need to consider about the fruit flies and the fruit. Here are some of the questions I had to consider: What fruits would be the best to use? What kinds of fruit flies would I use? Where would I keep them? At what temperature would be the best to place the fruit flies?

Allegheny County Pennsylvania science education science fruit flies

Hi Maya, those sound like great questions to consider - maybe one of them is actually your main research question? I think that at some point, you'll just have to make some decisions based on your background research, your available supplies and budget, and your time schedule.

Here is some information about a type of fly you may be able to attract in your kitchen: http://extension.psu.edu/pests/ipm/agriculture/fruits/spotted-wing-drosophila

You might contact your local Extension office or the representative from the above web site and see if they can connect you with a local mentor for the project:

Office Information

Address

The Penn State Center Pittsburgh
Energy Innovation Center Suite A
1435 Bedford Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Directions to our office

Contact

Phone: 412-263-1000
AlleghenyExt@psu.edu

Most importantly, keep very good documentation of the decisions you make and why you make them, all the steps you follow, and what you can conclude from the data you gather.

Happy sciencing!