When should I bring in my hummingbird feeders?

I live approximately three miles north of Chesapeake. Is it time to bring in the hummingbird feeders?

Lawrence County Ohio

Hi,

The following Q&A from TheCornellLab of Ornithology, http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/faq/season/seasonal_faq/document_view, should answer your question:

Hungry Hummers?

Q. I have been told that I should stop feeding hummingbirds in the fall so that they can begin their southern migration. Is this correct?

A. That's actually a myth. A number of factors trigger the urge for birds to migrate, but the most significant one is day length. When the days get shorter, the hummingbirds will move on, regardless of whether there are still filled feeders available for them.

We do, however, encourage people to keep their hummingbird feeders full for several weeks after they have seen the last hummer just in case there are stragglers in need of additional energy before they complete their long journey south.

Learn more about feeding hummingbirds by visiting our pages on feeding and attracting birds.

I hope this helps.