Should I plant mums now?

I just purchased some perennial mums and was told NOT to plant them at this time of the year. My question is: What do I do with these mums to try and save them until next spring to plant them? Do I cut them down - when would I cut them down - where would I store them - how do I store them, etc.?

Renville County North Dakota lrk mums horticulture perennials

I am not sure I understand fully why they would say not to plant out. There might be two reasons. First of all it could be they are not perennials for our area? If that is the case the may not make the winter, or the other option is they feel it is too late in the year and they may not be well established. I would sure suggest planting them out this fall. This year has been very nice and warm. I would have full confidence that they should get rooted and established before a real hard freeze. I would maybe wait until tomorrow as they are predicting a possible frost for tonight (I believe you are near Renville County?). After that once it is a hard frost you can sure mulch them with some leaves for extra protection. Ooops and I don't want to forget one of the most important things is water them in good. If you have more questions feel free to contact me.