Delaware native shrubs

Can you name shrubs to attract butterflies for a 10 ft x 8 ft area? Can you please tell me what's growing on the Brandywine River embankment? 8 ft tall, long stems with 24 in to 36 inch wide green leaves that are somewhat heart shaped.

New Castle County Delaware native plants native shrub shrub attracting butterflies

We cannot identify the shrub without more description. If the shrub is attracting butterflies, it's likely that it is flowering and the nectar is attracting them. We'd recommend that you send us a photo if you can.

Besides flowers, other good clues for identification include the fall color of the leaves, seed pods/fruit/or nuts, and stem/branch color.

I had 2 questions....Asking to name native shrubs that will attract butterflies .Native to Delaware

2nd question... The plant I have growing outside on the Brandywine embankment has cordate leaves measuring 24 inches wide. The plant has a grey stem 9 feet tall with green branches with 15 large leaves, no fruit or flowers.

Native shrubs with butterfly/pollinator interest include: Clethra (summersweet), Spicebush, Itea, and the native flowering honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens). You might consider a mixture of shrubs with native milkweeds or perennials.

Our best guess for the tree on the embankment would be either a Northern Catalpa, which is native, or Royal Pawlonia, which is not and is considered invasive.