Soil test

In the Fall of 2014 I had 85 Black Hill Spruce planted on my property. They were all between 12' an d 14' feet tall when planted. They seem to be adapting well, but I would like to have a soil test done to be sure I'm providing the right nutrients before I use fertilizer in the spring. Some of the trees are planted on a berm with mulch and others in the original farm soil. Should I take samples from multiple areas? How deep should I pull the sample from? Finally, where can I send for testing and analysis? Thank you! Pete

Washington County Minnesota soil testing tree fertilization tree transplanting tree spade transplanting

You are absolutely correct that you should have a soil test done before adding nutrients to your soil. You will want to do 2 separate soil tests since your 2 areas are so different. Soil testing can be done through the U of M (for a fee). This link will give you detailed instructions on how to take you samples and where to send them.

http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/how-to-submit-samples/lawn-garden/