Good bug or Bad bug

We were camping at Champoeg State Heritage Area near Newberg Oregon for 3 days in Sept 2015. There were bugs that were landing on the screens in our windows in the motorhome. They were quite prevalent and some came inside and sounded like a bee when they were flying. I asked the ranger and was told they were Box Elder bugs. I am sending you a picture because I found one when we returned from camping. It doesn't look like the pictures I've seen on the internet of Box Elder bugs. It looks like a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug picture I found on your website. However there is a Rough Stinkbug that looks very similar on your site. So can you please tell me what the bug is in the photos I'm sending? Thank you.

Pierce County Oregon insect issues insects

Thank you for including the excellent image with your inquiry. The insect is a brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys. The main identifying characteristics of BMSB are the white bands on their antennae which the rough stink bug lacks. BMSB are spread throughout the Willamette Valley and have proved to be serious nuisance pests just as are box elder bugs during the fall and winter. Elsewhere, BMSB are serious agricultural pests. Western box elder bugs belong to the same family (Hemiptera, the true bugs) but are more slender than are BMSB and also have red color on their dorsum (top side). See http://bugguide.net/node/view/15578/bgimage for images of box elder nymphs (youngsters) and adults.