Spider

I would like to know what species of spider this is and if I should be alarmed or worried that it's in my home? It's the biggest by far I have came across. I had to use a cup to pick it up as from what I seen it had fangs and I was afraid it may bite me

Outside United States spider identification

Hello, please let us know where this spider is located. If it is ouside of the US - what country? If it is inside the US, what state and county? This way it will be easier for us to diagnose the problem and assign the question to the best expert.

Hey, Thanks for your response, I live in England. So outside the US :)

The spider in your photo is the giant house spider or greater European house spider, Eratigena atrica (Family: Agelenidae). This spider was formerly placed in the genus Tegenaria and has been called Tegeneria gigantea, Tegenearia duellica or Tegenerai saeva, but these are now all considered to be one species. This spider is a common species in England. It is also found throughout much of Europe and has also been introduced into the Pacific Northwest region of the US and Canada. The family Agelenidae are referred to as funnel web spiders, because their web is typically funnel-shaped, with the narrow end of the funnel extending backward into some kind of hiding place like a crack or crevice. This spider normally lives outdoors, but can also be found living inside homes, particularly in basements and cellars. I can't tell from your photo whether this is a male or female, but during the fall male spiders abandon their webs and wander seeking females with which to mate. During this time, many of these spiders found indoors are likely wandering males. Although large and fearsome looking, the giant house spider is not aggressive, seldom bites and is considered harmless or at least not poisonous. I have included a link to a webpage with more information and photos of this spider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

Thank you for helping! Feel a little safer now lol!:)