Accidentally poisoned a Palo Verde

I have two mature Palo Verde trees in the enclosed portion of our back yard (many more in the desert). They are next to each other surrounding a rock outcropping. There was a nasty shrub in the rock outcropping that I kept trimming back, but it always returned. So I bought a small container of Poison Ivy killer (only shrub killer I could find) and sprayed the contents on the shrub. Good news is shrub appears dead. Bad news is one of the two Palo Verde trees dropped the leaves off of the branches growing from one of the three main trunks. The main branches are still green, but the small leaf bearing branches have turned brown, though still pliable. The other two main trunks of that tree and the other Palo Verde are unaffected. Will the tree survive and regrow its leaves? Is there anything I should do or just leave it alone?

Pima County Arizona

Hi,

The best thing you can do for the trees is take good care of them. That means deep watering once every two weeks down to about 24 to 36 inches. Make sure the water is going to the absorbing roots that are out around the drip line (the edge of the crown) of the tree. These trees need that much water anyway and flushing out the root zone may help wash the herbicide out of the area. Time will tell if the tree got a strong enough dose to do it in.

Peter

Thanks, I think the tree is going to be OK. The internet ramblings I had seen indicated deep watering a Palo Verde was a bad thing...that they hated water!! My inclination was to do just what you suggested, but had held off due to concerns about over-watering. Trimmed off dead twigs and tree is starting to put out new leaves.