How can I prepare my roses to live through the winter?

I've a number of roses around the house and seem to lose then over the winter. I live near Monument at about 6,500 feet and have used collars with mulch the past couple of years. The soil is somewhat rocky and there are pine trees all around. How can I prepare my roses to live through the winter?

El Paso County Colorado trees and shrubs roses

Our climate makes it very difficult for roses to survive the tough winters if they are not hardy. You have definitely done well by covering them up with collars. To cover roses with mulch/pine needles/soil should prevent the freezing and thawing process. To plant them in an area that doesn't get full sun in winter sometimes helps. The goal is to keep them COLD. Colorado State University Extension also suggests to plant roses from their list of recommendations.

I have attached a couple of publications from CSU Extension that will provide more information on winter care for roses and selecting rose varieties for Colorado: