Hi, I planted some wisteria frutescens "Amethyst Falls" last year....

Hi, I planted some wisteria frutescens "Amethyst Falls" last year. Our goal is to create wisteria bushes alongside our home, so we planted them about 1ft from the home, with a trellis behind them. I didn't reach much about the plant before planting, but it sounds like the non-native species often invade the home. My concern is if the native wisteria will case us any basement problems--we have a concrete block basement (grouted), and currently no basement problems (major cracks, water seepage, etc.). Is it safe to keep our wisteria where it is, or will it eventually work its way into our basement walls? If so, do you have any recommendations for other vines that would not cause a problem?

Milwaukee County Wisconsin wisteria

The native species are not as aggressive as the introduced ones, so they are less likely to cause problems. The roots will grow to water, and masonry tends to trap moisture. But in our relatively cool climate with (generally) plenty of moisture the plant should be able to get enough water without going through the blocks. However, I don't have any experience with this plant (it is only hardy to zone 5, and I live in zone 4) so don't really know for sure. You can try contacting the Milwaukee Co. UW-Extension office (http://milwaukee.uwex.edu/) to see if the horticulture educator or Master Gardener Volunteers there know anything about this.