Chinese Mantis predation on adult Monarch Butterflies

Chinese Mantises (not native to the Western Hemisphere) are major predators in September on adult Monarch Butterflies in my prairie establishment. They perch on Stiff Goldenrod (Solidago rigida), Liatris aspera and Eupatorium species to ambush any insect (I found one with a Ruby-throated Hummingbird recently) that might alight on these plants. Monarch Butterflies, migrating now, are, in large numbers, victims of these mantises. Have any readers observed this? I kill all Chinese Mantises, when found, with scissors. I would strongly encourage others to do so as this is one source of mortality in a huge area of the United States where this non-native mantis wreaks its havoc.

Jefferson County Missouri

This is the first report that I have had on the mantids eating monarchs. Since mantids are generalist predators, it's not surprising that they eat whatever prey items is readily available in the area.