pine cones

I HAVE SEVERAL PINE TREES IN MY YARD, THIS YEAR PINE CONES BEGAN FALLING AT A FAST RATE, I HAVE ALREADY PICKED UP 6 LARGE GARBAGE BAG FULL, THE CONES ARE NOT MATURE. MY NEIGHBOR HAS THE SAME THING, IN THE 19 YEARS THAT WE HAVE LIVED THERE THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. WHAT IS WRONG?

Ramsey County Minnesota pines

Unless you are seeing other signs of trouble , such as premature needle browning and dropping, specks on needles, fungal growth on the trunk, whitish downy patches on the branches and leaves or other signs I think this excess crop of pine cones is simply a reaction to the very good growing year we're having. Trees produce more of their seed-bearing fruits, and in the case of pines, (the larger cones are the seed bearers the smaller green ones are the males )
males cones are usually shed in the summer or fall. Female cones persist throughout the winter and open in spring to shed their pollinated seeds.

In case there is something else going on you can take a look at the following web site to see if your trees may be affected by some other organisms:
http://www.myminnesotawoods.umn.edu/2011/07/do-conifer-trees-
%E2%80%9Cflower%E2%80%9D/

If you do find evidence of some other pathogen, please send some good close-up photos and we will continue to research this question.