What insect is attacking my hydrangea tree?

I have a new 'Strawberry Sundae; hydrangea tree. Some insect has burrowed two holes in the trunk by the crotch of the tree. It is not a very big space, and I am worried that it might kill the tree. What is this insect, and how do it get rid of it? is there a systemic solution?

Minnehaha County South Dakota

Your hydrangea may have been attacked by a cane borer. Did you notice sawdust on or around the area? Usually hydrangeas have few pests. You can spray on an insecticide such as "Bayer's Advanced Tree and Shrub Insecticide." Be sure to follow the label directions carefully. If you notice decline of the branches you may want to take cuttings. Hydrangeas root fairly easily from softwood cuttings. Make sure you have at least two nodes. You can use a rooting powder and stick them in a sand/peat mix (50/50) and keep them moist. Keep the cuttings out of direct sunlight until they root, which should take six or more weeks.

I hope this information helps.