Fuzzy Pears....

I read your answer to the person before and I am not sure about the answer?? or I have a very healthy quince tree. I purchase a 3 grafted pear tree. It has Anjou pear, Barlett pear and a third pear which I do not have a tag for it. I thought that it was an Asian pear. But it has fuzz on it and looks very weird as it grows, it stays small and completely covered with fuzz as it grows. Then as it gets hot it starts to grow apple like in shape and green and slowly looses it fuzz. The fuzz is almost gone now. 8/30/2015 (last year it was gone when we removed it from the tree, It does not pop off easily so it is hard to decide when to remove it. I waited until the fuzz was gone last year but now the rains have come and I do not want to loose the fruit as we actually got quite a but of it this year. Eventually in the fall the fuzz falls off as the pear grows. This year was an incredibly warm year in Washington State as you know we had so much fruit. NOT much berry fruit but Apples , 5 gal of plums off a small dwarf tree, and pears to die for. On this pear tree it is a major part of the tree at least one half. No animals have gotten a hold of it and it has had not any damage. This was definitely a grafted tree and it is definitely on purpose. Here are some pictures of the fruit and the tree leaves. The tree as a whole. It is a dwarf tree. What is the pear called and can I remove the fruit now with a little fuzz on it? Will the rains hurt the fruit. The right side if the tree is the fuzzy pear side. It is a little hard to see as it has a rhododendron tree behind it in the picture. The leaf that is show is the fuzz pear tree leaf. The large graft on the Right side is the fuzz pear graft. This is a tree that is about 10 years old now and this is the third year with real fruit on it. This is the best year it has produced.

King County Washington rootstock quince graft

A lot of fruit trees were really loaded with fruit this year because the trees have been heat/drought stressed these last couple years. It's nature's way of trying to reproduce to keep the species going. Let's hope the recent rain will be the start of more usual weather.

Now for your fuzzy pear question. My guess is that your branches were grafted onto a quince tree, and you've got quinces growing. The graft may have died, or some of the rootstock sprouted and produced the native fruit. I've never had a quince, but apparently it's very hard and very tart, even when it ripens to yellow. Here's some information about quinces: http://ext100.wsu.edu/gardentips/category/quince/

The rootstock growth is using energy from the tree that you want it to put into producing fruit on the grafts. Sometimes grafted rootstocks can sucker and send out shoots that revert to the type of growth of the original tree. If these suckers are not cut off and removed, it can overtake the growth of the graft.

The best way to prevent the rootstock from taking over is to remove any new sucker growth that appears below the graft line. If the graft line goes below the ground, the tree may revert to its rootstock through suckers and give the wrong fruit. Take a look at the branches bearing the quinces, and prune them.