we found tomatoe hornworms in our yard for the first time ever. the...

we found tomatoe hornworms in our yard for the first time ever. the interesting part is that they were a long ways from the garden. They were actually by the deck. The three plants close to where they were found are: virginia creeper, hops, and snow on the mountain. Could they be feeding on one of these plants. I find it very unlikely that they crawled up from the garden which is approx 40 yards. Any info you could give us would be great

Outside United States

Dear gardener,

The pest we call tomato hornworm (Manduca quinquemaculata) is generally found in North America. Since I do not know your location, I cannot address the habits of the pest you have. However, M. quinquemaculata feeds almost exclusively on plants in the solanaceous family such as tomato, potato, tobacco and nightshade.

Here is an extension article that provides some information about the life cycle of this pest: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/tomato-hornworms-in-home-gardens/