I have lots of yellow tomatoes and I know they are low in acid. I can a lot...

I have lots of yellow tomatoes and I know they are low in acid. I can a lot but have never canned them. Can I use them in a salsa receipe?

Knox County Ohio

How do you can yellow tomatoes?

Yellow tomatoes are canned by the same method as red tomatoes. This holds true for pink, orange, and other rainbow colors of ripe tomatoes, so you can mix and match as you preserve salsa or canned tomato products.

I've been told that to can tomatoes safely, you must add acid. Is that true?

Tomatoes were once considered an acid food that could be safely canned in a boiling-water canner. However, because of problems in recent years with botulism in home-canned tomato products, certain precautions must now be taken. In Ohio, it is recommended that tomatoes have acid (in the form of crystalline citric acid or bottled lemon juice) added. Please refer to Ohio State University Extension Extension guide sheet, HYG-5336-15, "Canning Tomatoes," for safe canning directions. Guides are available through your local extension center or on-line athttp://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/pdf/HYG_5336_15.pdf .