Kale

what type of kale plant is this and can it be dehydrated

Lancaster County Nebraska

There are several possibilities. One is that it is an heirloom variety. One heirloom that looks similar to this is 'Red Russian' kale. You might compare photos of this variety to the kale that you have. I think that this is a good possibility.

Another possibility is that this is some kind of ornamental kale... although I think this less likely. Finally, it could be an improved cultivar of some type, again, I suspect less likely.

As far as dehydrating the kale, let me relay what Janet Hackert, one of our MU Extension Nutrition and Health Education Specialists says: "Kale can be dehydrated. MU Extension publication GH1563 How to Dry Foods at Home (http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1563), has a table showing how to dehydrate vegetables. Follow instructions for drying spinach and other greens: trim and wash leaves thoroughly; either steam blanch for 2-2.5 minutes OR water blanch for 1 minute; dry in a dehydrator for 8-10 hours until crisp. The guide has more information on these steps, if needed."

I hope that helps,
Tim Baker