managing a honeysuckle vine

I have a honeysuckle vine that is about 15 years old. It grows on a topiary and has been beautiful until this year. I have been trimming out the dead wood the last few years, but this year about half is dead. Has it run its course or could I prune it back severely this year and hope for the best next spring?

Hennepin County Minnesota honeysuckle shrubs pruning honeysuckle

Your plant may benefit from being cut back and fertilized in the spring at bud break (new buds start to open). Avoid severely pruning woody plants at this time of year as pruning can prompt new growth that will not have enough time to harden off properly before freeze and will be killed by the onset of cold weather.

Based on your question, I am going to assume the vine grows in the ground (vs. a container) and that you do not observe any damage to the plant such as broken branches, animal damage to the stems, or signs of disease. If this is not the case, then please reply directly to this email with pictures of the damage / problem areas.